City of Steele

General Info Recreation Education City Government History of Steele


--- ABOUT STEELE ---

General Information


 
 

The city of Steele is a small rural town located in Southeast Missouri in an area commonly known as the "Bootheel". With three other states in close proximity of Steele, it is recognized as a hub site for surrounding larger towns such as Dyersburg, Tennessee; Cape Girardeau, Missouri; Memphis, Tennessee; and Jonesboro, Arkansas.

The obvious benefit of living or establishing a business in Steele is that it offers small town living with big city advantages, all within driving distance. Located one mile from Interstate 55, Steele is easily accessible and provides a perfect central location for residential as well as industrial sites.

 
 

Recreation


 
 

Steele provides various forms of recreation locally including PeeWee, Little League, and Junior Babe Ruth League baseball, and a newly developed soccer league.

A recent addition to the city of Steele is the Joe Saliba Park, which boasts a lighted quarter-mile walking track, a covered pavilion with picnic tables and restroom facilities, a baseball field, soccer field, playground equipment for all ages, volleyball area, and barbecue pits. In the surrounding area, boating, skiing, fishing and hunting enthusiasts have an abundance of locations to exercise their sport. Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee, Kentucky Lake in Kentucky and Norfolk Lake in Arkansas are all within a four-hour drive or less. 

Throughout the year various types of game and fowl hunting are in season, including deer, wild turkey, quail, dove, and duck and areas are easily reached within thirty minutes or less.

The little league program was first established 30-40 years ago with the formation of the baseball youth league.  Today that program has grown to include approximately 190 youth.  The basketball program is 8 years old and has approximately 120 youth who participate.  The soccer program is in it's second year and has approximately 80 youth involved.  Local businesses sponsor the teams and coaching is staffed by volunteers.

 
 

Education

 
 
 

From pre-school to college, all aspects of education are readily available in or near Steele. Apple Tree Preschool is locally owned and operated by Christy Carter, an accredited educator. Discovery Land Preschool is also locally owned and operated by life long resident, Cynthia Booker who is an accredited educator.

Steele has two elementary schools, one junior high school, and one high school. The academic schedule includes basic requirements in addition to accelerated math and science programs, an excellent music program, French Club, Honor Society and various other academic and social clubs.

The sports program includes basketball, volleyball and baseball. South Pemiscot School District is renowned as one of the finest school districts in Southeast Missouri.

Upon graduation, students can attend several vocational-technical schools, junior colleges, four-year programs, and specialized schools, all within a driving distance of one hour or less.

 
 

City Government

 
 
 

City Hall

101 South Walnut
Steele, MO 63877
573-695-3690

City Council:

Mayor Keith L. Samford 573-695-7712
Alderman Rishard Shuburte 573-695-2156
Alderman Beau Gray 573-695-1573
Alderman Lance Crawford 573-695-4828
Alderman Randy McDaniel 573-695-3081
City Clerk Regina White 573-695-3690
Tax Collector Regina White 573-695-3690
Treasurer Dana Ivie 573-720-8522
Municipal Judge Steve Keating 573-695-3170
Police Chief Billy Joe Stanfield 573-695-2100
 

 
 

History of Steele

 
 
 

The town of Steele was incorporated October 9th, 1901, upon a petition presented to the County Court of Pemiscot County by 12 people, which constituted two-thirds of the taxable residents of the town on that date.

Several sawmills and what seemed to be an unlimited supply of virgin timber surrounded the town. Steele grew from the start, and soon had three good stores and three flourishing saloons. The F.T. Jackson Store Co., was the first merchant to locate here; Samford and Treece second, and the Cannon store third. The post office was located in the Samford and Treece store with George W. Treece the first postmaster.

The town, as originally incorporated, extended from the east side of the railroad track to the bank of Bailey Lake, one of a chain of lakes extending practically all over the county. For several months in the year, called the "gum boot" season, the town would overflow from rain water to the extent that at times a boat could be rowed from one end of Main Street to the other and anchor at any store door in town.

The sidewalks were of boards and built about four feet above the ground. Since the completion of the first dredge ditch through town in 1910, the water disappeared and what was once the bed of Bailey Lake is now the Echols and Cobb addition, the most exclusive residential section of Steele.

At the time of the organization of the new town, lumber, ties and bolts were the chief source of revenue, with fur and fish a close second. Land was valued solely for the timber thereon and could be bought for a few dollars per acre. Land that was at one time considered worthless so far as agriculture was concerned is now a part of what is regarded one of the richest agricultural sections of the United States.

 
 

Return To Top of Page